Cruiserweight titleholder Jai Opetaia is scheduled to defend his belt in opposition to Jordan Thompson on Saturday night time in London.
JAI OPETAIA (22-0, 17 KOs)
VS. JORDAN THOMPSON (15-0, 12 KOs)
- Date: Saturday, Sept. 30
- Time: 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT (predominant occasion later in present)
- The place: OVO Enviornment Wembley, London
- TV/Stream: DAZN
- Division: Cruiserweight (200 kilos)
- At stake: No main titles
- Odds: Opetaia 4-1 favourite (common of a number of shops)
- Pound-for-pound: None
- Additionally on the cardboard: Ellie Scotney vs. Laura Soledad Griffa, junior featherweights (for Scotney’s IBF title); Cheavon Clarke vs. Vasil Ducar, cruiserweights; Rhiannon Dixon vs. Katherina Thanderz, lightweights
- Prediction: Opetaia KO 9
- Background: Opetaia, a 28-year-old southpaw from Sydney, shocked the boxing world and arrived on the worldwide scene with a convincing resolution over veteran 200-pound beltholder Mairis Briedis in July of final yr in Australia, his most up-to-date battle. Briedis had misplaced solely to Oleksandr Usyk. Opetaia hasn’t fought outdoors of Australia since 2017. He competed for his native nation within the 2012 London Olympics, dropping within the first spherical. Thompson is a 30-year-old boxer-puncher from London who might be combating for a significant title for the primary time. He has stopped seven of his final eight opponents, together with Luke Watkins in six rounds on April 22. Nevertheless, this can be a step up in opposition for him.