Joshua Buatsi (14-0, 12 KOs) saved his excellent document intact with a spotlight reel fourth-round knockout victory over Daniel Blenda Dos Santos (15-1, 8 KOs) on Saturday evening of their scheduled 12 spherical fundamental occasion battle on the AO Enviornment in Manchester, England.
(Picture credit score: Mark Robinson/Dave Thompson/Matchroom Boxing)
Buatsi ended the battle within the 4th spherical after tagging the 30-year-old Dos Santos with two proper palms that knocked him clear out to place him down on the canvas.
The second proper hand from the 2016 Olympian Buatsi wasn’t wanted as a result of Dos Santos was falling on the time, and he gave the impression to be unconscious.
You’ll be able to argue that Buatsi ought to have held again when he noticed how badly damage Dos Santos was when he fell, however you by no means know.
Dos Santos might need been in a position to get again as much as proceed combating. However after Buatsi landed the second proper hand, it made sure that Dos Santos wouldn’t be getting up for a protracted, very long time.
Earlier within the contest, Buatsi knocked Dos Santos down in spherical two with a pleasant shot to the physique. Dos Santos made it again up and went right into a safety-first mode and confirmed little in the way in which of offense from that time on.
That knockdown took the battle out of Dos Santos totally for all intents and functions.
With the victory, Buatsi held onto his WBA Worldwide mild heavyweight title. However extra importantly, #2 Buatsi stays ready to problem WBA 175-lb champion Dimitry Bivol.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn stated after the battle tonight that he desires to arrange a battle between the unbeaten Bivol (18-0, 11 KOs) this summer season.
Earlier than Bivol’s final battle in opposition to Craig Richards earlier this month on Might 1st, it might be unthinkable for Buatsi to have an opportunity of beating him.
However Bivol seemed terribly flawed in opposition to Richards, and also you now have to offer Buatsi a greater than common probability of beating him. Buatsi’s age makes it essential that he put him in in opposition to Bivol now as a result of he’s already about to show 29.
If Buatsi can’t do it now, it’s not prone to occur for him as he creeps into his 30s. It received’t be the top of the world for Buatsi if he loses to Bivol as a result of he’s sufficiently small to maneuver right down to 168 to reinvent himself in opposition to fighters his personal measurement.
At 175, Buatsi is smaller than lots of the fighters within the division. Whereas Buatsi’s lack of measurement isn’t negatively impacting his profession proper now, it could turn out to be later when he begins combating champions Bivol, Artur Beterbiev, and Joe Smith Jr.
- Daniel Blenda Dos Santos (15-1, 8 KOs) defeated former WBA 168-lb champion Giovanni De Carolis (28-10-1, 13 KOs) by a 12 spherical unanimous choice to seize the vacant EBU tremendous middleweight title. The judges scored it: 120-108, 120-108, 119-109.
- In a shock, Jason Cunningham (29-6, 6 KOs) defeated EBU tremendous bantamweight champion Gamal Yafai (18-2, 10 KOs) by a detailed 12 spherical unanimous choice. The scores have been 15-110, 114-111, 114-111. Cunningham confirmed off his energy in knocking Yafai down thrice within the contest in dropping him in rounds 2, 4, and 6.
- European Boxing Union cruiserweight champion Tommy McCarthy (18-2, 9 KOs) destroyed challenger Alexandru Jur (19-5, 7 KOs) by a sixth-round knockout. McCarthy dropped Jur twice within the battle, knocking him down in rounds 4 and 6.
- Undefeated mild welterweight Dalton Smith (8-0, 7 KOs) beat Lee Appleyard (16-6-1, 5 KOs) by a sixth-round knockout to seize the English 140lb belt.
- Heavyweight prospect Solomon Dacres (1-0) beat Mladen Menev (3-9, 2 KOs) by a six-round factors choice. The rating was 60-54.