1) The Olympic boxing is in full swing, so let’s take a look again to the memorable 1988 version. Right here’s the nice Roy Jones Jr losing his gold medal fight to Park Si-hun in a theft so outrageous that he thought-about quitting the sport and right here’s Park explaining the impact of the verdict on his life; here’s Lennox Lewis fighting Riddick Bowe within the super-heavyweight gold medal match and here are the two of them exchanging words within the ring instantly after Bowe beat Evander Holyfield to develop into undisputed champion of the world; right here’s Chun Jin-Chil mistaking the bell in another ring for the bell in his, when his opponent, Todd Foster didn’t, and right here’s the consequent rematch.
2) Maradona, Platini, Zico, Falcão, Rummenigge, Elkjær, Socrates, Boniek – not often, if ever, has a league boasted as lots of the world’s greatest gamers as Serie A did in 1984-85. Simply have a look at them!
3) Over the weekend, Peter Wright beat the defending champion, Dmitri van den Bergh, to win darts’ World Matchplay competitors, after which the 2 shared an emotional second on stage. Within the semi-final, Van den Bergh had danced his way to the oche as he normally does, just for Gerwyn Value, his opponent, to mock him after nailing a finish; naturally, when Van den Bergh progressed, he has some ideas to share on the subject.
4) Till his dangerous again obtained in the way in which, Mike Atherton bowled a little bit of leg spin – here are his two Test wickets. The primary got here at Headingley in 1996 and noticed him lure Wasim Akram lbw, making it the sixth time opposing captains had dismissed one another – earlier within the match, Wasim had persuaded him to edge behind. Wasim was concerned in comparable at Karachi in 1997 when Courtney Walsh got him for a duck, then he returned the praise by cartwheeling off stump. In complete, it’s now occurred 12 occasions, most not too long ago when West Indies got here to Southampton after lockdown and Jason Holder nicked off Ben Stokes, then Stokes had Holder caught in the deep, then Holder nicked Stokes off a second time.
5) On today in 1948, the London Olympics started. Here’s the opening ceremony and flame-lighting.
6) On today in 1966, Sally Gunnell was born. Right here she is winning Olympic gold in 1992, here’s her post-race interview and right here she is in 1993 successful world championship gold and breaking the world record in the process.
Spotters’ badges: germit, GrahamClayton
Guardian YouTube soccer channel
Guardian YouTube sport channel