- Yuberjen Martinez (Colombia) def. Amit (India), 4:1: Amit got here in as the highest seed, however he didn’t get a simple pull right here, both, as Martinez was the 2016 silver medalist at gentle flyweight and brings monster stress. It was the stress of Martinez that put him by means of. Within the opening spherical, Amit seemed slick, assured on the counters, and he received that spherical. But it surely took rather a lot out of him, and that confirmed within the second when Martinez took it up one other notch, and by the third Amit was actually operating across the ring, stopping generally to strive touchdown sufficient pokey photographs for the judges, then operating round once more. However the judges didn’t purchase it, and Yuberjen strikes on to the quarters.
- Ryomei Tanaka (Japan) def. Jianguan Hu (China), 3:1:1: Tanaka will get a considerably fortunate break right here, as Hu received minimize within the second spherical; a number of cuts, truly, they usually despatched it to the playing cards, the place one decide had it even, one had it 20-18 for Hu, and three had it 20-18 for Tanaka. Tanaka received three playing cards within the first and Hu spent a lot time in what we received of the second nervous concerning the cuts that it was onerous to attain that one Hu’s manner. Unhealthy break for Hu, as he seemed to actually have the flexibility to win this, but it surely’s boxing.
- Shakhobidin Zoirov (Uzbekistan) def. Daniel Varela de Pina (Cape Verde), 5:0: Zoirov, the gold medalist from Rio 2016, was simply too expert, too stylish for de Pina, however the underdog gave this what he had, put the stress on as a lot as he might. Zoirov goes to be robust to beat once more, but when we get to a Martinez-Zoirov remaining, that could possibly be an actual hoot.
- Carlo Paalam (Philippines) def. Mohamed Flissi (Algeria), : No. 4 seed Flissi goes down in his first battle in Tokyo. He’s a three-time Olympian now and has come up in need of the medal rounds each day trip. Right here, he bumped into younger fighter from the Philippines, who simply placed on a well-schooled, tighter efficiency right here, dictating the battle from the get-go. The Filipino staff appears to get higher each Olympics, you may’t overstate how a lot the professional success of Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, and so many others has meant to the funding in and dedication to boxing there, it appears.
- Keyshawn Davis (United States) def. Sofiane Oumiha (France), RSC: Hear, I’m rooting for Davis. I’m thrilled that he received, and he seemed good. I believe he’s one of the best gold medal hope throughout both of the USA squads, and beating the No. 1 seed and 2016 silver medalist isn’t any joke in any respect, that is nice. However I believe the referee stopped this too quickly, man. I actually do. Oumiha is a terrific boxer and it’s not like he was staggering round or minimize or one thing. Davis pressured a standing eight with a terrific proper hand within the second spherical, the referee gave the rely, then stopped it. Oumiha was heartbroken, clearly, and Davis was an actual gentleman; sure, he celebrated, however he additionally paid his respects to an excellent opponent who might have gotten the shaft a bit right here. However hey, the referee is the one proper there wanting instantly into Oumiha’s eyes, and we all know the officers prioritize security over all the things on the Olympics. Davis strikes on to the quarters. Really feel for Oumiha, but additionally, USA! USA! USA!
- Gabil Mamedov (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Richarno Colin (Mauritius), 5:0: I assumed Colin received the shaft a bit within the first spherical, the place he did some good work however 4 judges gave it to Mamedov. However Mamedov did win the second and third rounds, I don’t have an issue with the end result. Mamedov’s fighter, shall be one other robust matchup for Davis within the quarters.
- Hovhannes Bachkov (Armenia) def. Javid Chalabiyev (Azerbaijan), 4:1: An absolute battle of a battle. First spherical went to Chalabiyev on 4 playing cards, however Bachkov’s fixed stress and simply being higher on the model they established within the first put him by means of within the latter two rounds. He’s an actual handful, only a hell of a fighter. Actually not probably the most technically sound man you’ll see in Tokyo, however a warrior.
- Elnur Abduraimov (Uzbekistan) def. Bakhodur Usmonov (Tajikistan), 5:0: 4-seed Abduraimov simply too good right here, didn’t have a lot actual hassle with Usmonov, and shall be a tough model matchup for Bachkov, however Bachkov mainly fights the a technique so it’ll both work or not. Is determined by how Abduraimov offers with the stress, actually. Some good prime half quarters set at light-weight, although.
Ladies’s middleweight (Quarterfinals)
Winner assured at the very least a bronze medal.
- Lauren Worth (Nice Britain) def. Atheyna Bylon (Panama), 5:0: One decide gave Bylon the third, however aside from that it was all Worth on the playing cards, and it was all Worth within the ring. Simply by no means actually aggressive, not even shut. High seed Worth too technically sound and too good for Bylon.
- Nouchka Fontijn (Netherlands) def. Tammara Thibeault (Canada), 5:0: Fontijn will medal at a second straight Olympics after profitable silver in 2016. She faces Worth within the semifinal, loser getting bronze. Thibeault’s greatest spherical was the primary; I assumed she misplaced that, however 4 judges did see it her manner and it was shut, however then Fontijn simply took over within the second and third rounds, no debate on the winner right here.
Ladies’s featherweight (Semifinal)
- Nesthy Petecio (Philippines) def. Irma Testa (Italy), 4:1: Testa swept the primary spherical, and it appeared her superior peak and attain had been going to provide Petecio suits. However the Filipina boxer bit down, adjusted, and took the battle to Testa, sweeping the second spherical and placing all of it on the road within the third. Testa nonetheless couldn’t work out what to do with the aggression of Petecio within the third, however she did muddy it up some with holding, and that satisfied the Argentine decide to go the Italian’s manner within the third. However the others went — rightly, for my part — to Petecio, who now strikes on to battle for gold, whereas Testa will go house with a bronze.